Dieter,

I struggled with WebSphere also, and came to the conclusion that Tomcat

was a better fit for most of the projects I work on. With your
experience,
you probably have some insights that could help AS/400 Java developers.
want AS/400 Java programmers to be successful at deploying Java but
statements like "don't use CRTJVAPGM on boxes > V4R5" and "don't use
the native driver, its buggy" don't seem constructive.

My contribution to the question "how to write java applications, well
modularized, flexible against changing requirements, stable, failure
tolerant and .... fast enough on as400." is to turn toward open source

projects like Struts and Tomcat. These were not written by RPG
programmers
and work just fine on the AS/400 as well as other platforms. Most RPG
programmers that I have help learn and use Struts have had little
trouble
understanding the Struts framework and recognize its value, just like
they
recognized the value of external display files.

David Morris

>>> Dieter.Bender@t-online.de 11/05/02 12:26PM >>>
David,

I'm reading this Mailing list for a long time and I see some java
projects in
the 400er area in germany and sometimes I've the idea that I'm looking
at rpg
programs written in java and the outer world of java is hidden to the
400er
community and this is a negative fact for the as400. The main topic is:
how
to write java applications, well modularized, flexible against
changing
requirements, stable, failure tolerant and .... fast enough on as400.
and so
I'm throwing in my few cents (we have this in germany now too) to bring
the
as400 java community to the mainstream of application development.
If CRTJVAPGM speeds up your application and you need it, use it. I've
seen
constellations, it didn't help anything and took 24 h.
The as400 and it never crashs, I've seen boxes running WebsFear: WF
took 95%
of the CPU, just doing nothing, it was impossible to stop WF, the SBS
could
not be ended, even an ENDJOBABN didn't help, only PWRDWNSYS stopped
this
nonsense and luckily we did not run WF 3.5.1 or 3.5.2 (some of us know
why).

Dieter