David,

I'm reading this Mailing list for a long time and I see some java projects in
the 400er area in germany and sometimes I've the idea that I'm looking at rpg
programs written in java and the outer world of java is hidden to the 400er
community and this is a negative fact for the as400. The main topic is: how
to write java applications, well modularized, flexible against changing
requirements, stable, failure tolerant and .... fast enough on as400. and so
I'm throwing in my few cents (we have this in germany now too) to bring the
as400 java community to the mainstream of application development.
If CRTJVAPGM speeds up your application and you need it, use it. I've seen
constellations, it didn't help anything and took 24 h.
The as400 and it never crashs, I've seen boxes running WebsFear: WF took 95%
of the CPU, just doing nothing, it was impossible to stop WF, the SBS could
not be ended, even an ENDJOBABN didn't help, only PWRDWNSYS stopped this
nonsense and luckily we did not run WF 3.5.1 or 3.5.2 (some of us know why).

Dieter

On Tuesday 05 November 2002 18:17, you wrote:
> Dieter, Bruce,  and Mark,
>
> The CRTJVAPGM command is still useful and can dramatically improve
> performance even on the latest release. For example, an uncompiled
> version of Tomcat and our site takes at least 5 minutes to start w/o
> compilation. With compilation it takes less than 2 minutes. I don't
> fully
> understand why since most classes are loaded by a custom class loader,
>
> but I have seen it enough to know that this is absolutely the case.
> This
> can be very important when you have a short window to install upgrades,
>
> so I always compile new/changed Jar and Class files that are installed
>
> on our system. I submit these compiles to run during periods of low
> activity.
I then create symbolic links to those Jar and Class files