Thanks Barbara.  I am sure I did something wrong!..  Here's what I am trying to
do.  I am trying to create a 'url' instance of java.net.URL class with whatever
I am passing in as a parm.  In Java, we would call the method as url = new
URL(); and url.getHost(); but now, I am confused in AS/400.  Should I enter
Class2 (to refer to my instance) as 'java.net.URL url' or plain url or
'java.net.URL'?  I tried the java.net.URL and since it is not a static method,
and I just call getHost(), the the rpgle does not compile, the error is

  Msg id  Sv Number Seq     Message text
 *RNF7588 30     81 008900  The call to Java method GETHST requires an object
as the
                            extra first parameter.

My code is
D gethst          PR           100A   ExtProc(*JAVA:
D                                             'java.net.URL':
D                                             'getHost')
D                                     varying
 **
c                   IF        curl <> ' '
c                   Eval      sUrl      = newString(%trim(curl))
c                   Eval      url       = newURL(sUrl)
c                   ENDIF

c                   Eval      rtnText  = gethst()

c                   EXSR      $setRtnCode

I then changed the getHost() to getHost(url), which is the instance of URL I
created the line above with newURL().  c                   Eval      rtnText  =
gethst(url)

The rpg now compiles but I get a java exception (obviously since that is wrong
call to the method).

(Is there a manual I could refer to, for these codes?)

Thanks for all your help!
Sudha