> From: David Morris
>
> I am guessing that you like the repository and debugger in VA/Java.
> Eclipse 2.01 with the 1.4.1RC JDK provides similar debugging
> capabilities to VAJ. You need the 1.4.1 JDK (1.4.0 is buggy) to
> be able to reload a class changed in debug and continue. Eclipse
> lets you look for a type etc, but is a little slower than VAJ. The
> tradeoff is that it starts much more quickly. You can also scan
> for file data, which is a bonus.

Actually, what I really like is the following, off the top of my head:

1. The ability to rename a method and then find all the affected changes
throughout the source.  VAJ allows me to limit the search to a specific
subset of the repository, which is crucial in my environment.

2. The ability to immediately see errors throughout the repository when I
change a signature on a method (pretty much a corollary to 1.)

3. The ability to easily move a method from one class to another.

4. The strong support for importing and especially exporting JAR files.

5. The ability to easily compare versions of a method.

6. The ability to evaluate expressions on the fly at a breakpoint.

7. The ability to inspect and change variables at breakpoints.

8. Automatic source completion to find methods, variable names and so on.

And of course, I use the WebSphere Test Environment.  This is crucial for
servlet debugging.

Joe