So Basically what I've been hearing is that:

1) Java can't really be as fast on the iSeries (AS400) as RPG (at least as
easily as RPG can currently).
2) Java has more long-term benefits - such as OO object-Oriented and
therefore is more in-line with other technologies whereas RPG/ILE is as far
is it is going.
3) There may be some sacrifices in performance using Java and it will be
necessary to use GUI in Java - No Green Screens.
4) In order to stay up-to-date with technology and not feel like a dinosaur,
from a programmer's perspective, it is foolish to not begin using Java on
the iSeries in some way.

I realize that there are a lot of RPG programs out there, just like COBOL.
I don't hear of any NEW COBOL developers.  Any programmers I hear who used
to do COBOL either just maintain them as they phase them out as well as they
get involved in newer languages.

I definitely don't want to see RPG get in the same place as COBOL and find
myself being a dinosaur.

Based on all of this discussion, what would you suggest ?

Develop Java on the iSeries and to what level ?  I am working with a team of
developers with Cold Fusion/C#/asp/ experience as well as iSeries (AS400)
technologies and we are assigned to investigate the prospect of designing
applications using Java on the iSeries.  Isn't there an additional benefit
of accessing CSQL databases ?