Daniel,

On Tuesday 17 September 2002 18:52, you wrote:
> Dieter,
>
> <snip>
>
> >> but the great disadvantage is: every s*** (edit)
> >> (yes I mean s***) (edit) ever programmed in rpg runs today without any
> >> change.
>
> I had to re-read several times before I realized the wisdom of your post.
> If I understand you, you suggest that because RPG is so completely downward
> compatible, it discourages change.  We see this thinking *all the time* in
> our shop. Our MRP package should have been put out to pasture *years* ago
> (we patched it to be Y2K).  Because it continues to work, we dismiss any
> new implementations as too expensive because, after all, we already have a
> system that sort of works.

It's even worse. One of the main arguments for rpg compared to java is
performance. RPG applications are optimized to use as few ressources as
possible, they would run on the same systems they ran 20 years ago, why not,
they were written 30 years ago. Nobody would need a new as400, as long as his
old runs.
What does IBM to sell new boxes? They invent CFINT to slow down new boxes,
they keep their prices high and they sell rather old hardware for very new
prices.
What's the result? For modern applications, Web Serving, Client Server
applications and java the as400 is outperformed even by Wintel Boxes. If I
compare servlets running on my 170 (used price 7600 Euro = $) under WebsFear
to same Servlets running on Linux and Tomcat (new price 1000 Euro = $)...
(edit)

Dieter