As others have said, the JVM will always assume UTC unless you override
the user.timezone JVM system property.  The easiest way to do this is to
create the file /QIBM/UserData/Java400/SystemDefault.properties, if not
already there, and add the line:

user.timezone=Europe/London

If you're running inside WAS, you'll need to recycle WAS.

On the last paragraph of your message, I'm not sure how you're getting
this.  If you're calling getDisplayName() it will show GMT+00:00 because
that is the default representation.

Try calling

  tz.getDisplayName(true, TimeZone.LONG)

and you'll get more satisfactory results.  Unlike UTC, Europe/London
adjusts for Summer Time.

Gary