When it works with: Html ==> Loginid ==> jsp1 ==> controller.servlet ==>
jsp1 or jsp2 .... which api does jsp1 use to call controller.servlet?
Also, did you try the earlier suggestion of using sendRedirect( ) api
instead of .forward( )  to see if that helped at all?

|         |           "Patrick         |
|         |           Goovaerts"       |
|         |           <pgoovaerts@pando|
|         |           ra.be>           |
|         |           Sent by: java400-|
|         |           l-admin@midrange.|
|         |           com              |
|         |           08/05/02 12:13 PM|
|         |           java400-l        |

>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |

  |       To:       <java400-l@midrange.com>
                                          |
  |       cc:
                                          |
  |       Subject:  RE: HttpSession - problem
                                          |

>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Sorry it is not clear enough but it's such a strange behaviour and
rather difficult to describe.  I'll try to clarify myself:

WAS level: WAS 3.5.6

The first HTML-page launches a login.class which is authenticated.  This
forces WAS to send/request authentication info (when user isn't already
logged in through another application).  The login.class also creates a
new HTTP-session in which I want to keep 'default-info'.

Next step should be the launch of the 'controller.servlet' which i tried
directly from the 'login.class'.  2 reason's why this
'controller.servlet' executes these statements:
   session = req.getSession(true);
   id = session.getId();
   if (session.isNew())
1) Because the 'controller.servlet' needs the 'default-info'
     (and that's the way to retrieve the session-info)
2) Because I can check if session is still valid
     (ex. timeout occurred)

I don't know why 'session.isNew()' returns 'true' while one could see in
std-out that session-id is still the same...  Stangly, when jsp1 is
launched first then it works!

So, this alway's works:
Html ==> Loginid ==> jsp1 ==> controller.servlet ==> jsp1 or jsp2
(depending on action)

This never works:
Html ==> Loginid ==> controller.servlet ==> jsp1 or jsp2 (depending on
action)

Problem:
When a user is authenticated before (ex. as guest for another
application), he could try to launch the application using URL (when he
knows it).  When jsp1 is loaded first, het gets a screen to fill in
first and receives an error when executing controller.servlet
Otherwise, when controller.servlet is loaded first, he gets an error
immediatly.

Patrick Goovaerts
pgoovaerts@pandora.be
TEL: 0032-3-6472715