I hope one can help me with this tricky problem:

I have a WebApp which is running under 'Basic Authentication' and has
following objects:
- index.html
- login.class
- controller.class
- databean.class
- jsp1.jsp
- jsp2.jsp
- error.jsp

it should work as follows:
- index launched
- form submit 'login.class' with 2 parms: parm1, parm2
(value=controller.class)
        - basic authentication is activated
           (userid/password is asked and entered)
        - create new 'session'
        - gets default uservalues from AS400
        - stores default uservalues in session
        - redirects to parm2 (controller.class)
                ==> getServletConfig().
                       getServletContext().
                       getRequestDispatcher(controller.class).
                       forward(req, res);
- controller class loaded
        - retrieves 'sessionvalues'
        - detects which jsp to load
        - loads jsp1.jsp
- jsp1.jsp loaded
        - values changed
        - loads controller.class
- controller class activated
        - retrieves 'sessionvalues'
        - detects which jsp to load
        - updates databean.class
        - loads jsp2.jsp
etc...

The controller's work is retrieving sessionvalues, updates beans, launch
jsp's.  When session-timeout occurs, error.jsp is returned.

Problemdescription:
When I submit the 'login.class' with parm2=controller.class, the 'session'
is considdered as 'new'???
I use the following to retrieve the sessioninfo:
   session = req.getSession(true);
   id = session.getId();
   if (session.isNew())

In normal situations, the session should get a 'false' on 'if
(session.isNew())' but it always returns 'true'.  However, when I check
the sessionid, it is always the same!!!

When I change parm2 in 'jsp1.jsp', I do not get this strange behaviour...
The jsp is loaded, this form submits the controller which detects the
correct session (session.isNew() = false) and loads jsp2.jsp.

Here's an extract of debugginginfo printerd to 'std_out'
where you can see that sessionid doesn't change...
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY ConnectionHolder(clipper): New ConnectionHolder
generated with :
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY    setAutoCommit=false
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY    setTransactionIsolation=1
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY    at :Mon Aug 05 10:41:03 GMT+02:00 2002
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY********************************************************************************
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAYSessioninformation at: SLoginUser_doGet
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY Parameter Information
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY   Parm company: R
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY   Parm program: FQController
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY Server Information
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY   req.getServerName()          : "10.0.0.161"
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY   req.getServerPort()          : "2032"
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY   req.getRemoteUser()          : "pgo"
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY   req.getAuthType()            : "Basic"
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY   req.getRequestURI()          :
"/FreightQuotations/SLoginUser"
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY   req.getClass()               : "class
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppDispatcherRequest"
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY   req.getPathInfo()            : "null"
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY   req.getPathTranslated()      : "null"
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY   req.getServletPath()         : "/SLoginUser"
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY   HttpUtils.getRequestURL(req) :
"http://10.0.0.161:2032/FreightQuotations/SLoginUser";
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY   Request Attributes:
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY   Attribute com.ibm.websphere.olt.include.bool:
false
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY   Attribute com.ibm.websphere.current_uri:
/SLoginUser
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY   Attribute com.ibm.websphere.olt.forward.request:
SLoginUser
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY   Attribute com.ibm.websphere.request_url:
http://10.0.0.161:2032/FreightQuotations/SLoginUser
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY HTTP-session Information
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY   Session ID: P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY   Session Max.Inactive Interval: 1800
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY   Session Created: 1028536862652
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY   Session Last Accessed: -1
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY   Session Values:
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY   0. sessionid.logoncompany: R
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY   1. sessionid.logonusername: pgo
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY   2. sessionid.logonpassword: serverauthorized
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY   3. sessionid.connection:
com.clipper.tools.ConnectionHolder@896f1e68
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAYSLoginUser_doGetprocessing...
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY********************************************************************************
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY SLoginUser_doGet: Homepage is shown
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY SLoginUser_doGet: User pgo        with userprofile
C3DPAD    Logged in successfully for Company:R
Menus Menus.getAllMenus(Connection, String, String): executed with
following parameters :
  Company     : R
  UserType    : P
Menus Menus.getAllMenus(Connection, String, String): Retrieving records
with: R P
Menus Menus.getAllMenus(Connection, String, String): 1 records retrieved
with: R P
Menus Menus.getAllMenus(Connection, String, String): executed with
following parameters :
  Company     : R
  UserType    : C
Menus Menus.getAllMenus(Connection, String, String): Retrieving records
with: R C
Menus Menus.getAllMenus(Connection, String, String): No records found
with: R C
Menus Menus.getAllMenus(Connection, String, String): 0 records retrieved
with: R C
Menus Menus.getAllMenus(Connection, String, String): executed with
following parameters :
  Company     : R
  UserType    : A
Menus Menus.getAllMenus(Connection, String, String): Retrieving records
with: R A
Menus Menus.getAllMenus(Connection, String, String): 1 records retrieved
with: R A
Menus Menus.getAllMenus(Connection, String, String): executed with
following parameters :
  Company     : R
  UserType    : O
Menus Menus.getAllMenus(Connection, String, String): Retrieving records
with: R O
Menus Menus.getAllMenus(Connection, String, String): 5 records retrieved
with: R O
Menus Menus.getAllMenus(Connection, String, String): executed with
following parameters :
  Company     : R
  UserType    : E
Menus Menus.getAllMenus(Connection, String, String): Retrieving records
with: R E
Menus Menus.getAllMenus(Connection, String, String): 4 records retrieved
with: R E
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY SLoginUser_doGet:    New Session Values:
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY   1. sessionid.logoncompany: R
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY   2. Menu: [com.clipper.model.Menu@818c9e68,
com.clipper.model.Menu@998f1e68, com.clipper.model.Menu@956d1e68,
com.clipper.model.Menu@91c39e68, com.clipper.model.Menu@91429e68,
com.clipper.model.Menu@90c19e68, com.clipper.model.Menu@6c0f9e68,
com.clipper.model.Menu@6f5c1e68, com.clipper.model.Menu@68bb1e68,
com.clipper.model.Menu@6a319e68, com.clipper.model.Menu@652a9e68]
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY   3. MenuPublic: [com.clipper.model.Menu@818c9e68]
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY   4. MenuOwner: [com.clipper.model.Menu@956d1e68,
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY   5. MenuAgent: [com.clipper.model.Menu@998f1e68]
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY   6. sessionid.useremail: pgoovaerts@pandora.be

P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY   7. MenuEdp: [com.clipper.model.Menu@6f5c1e68,
com.clipper.model.Menu@68bb1e68, com.clipper.model.Menu@6a319e68,
com.clipper.model.Menu@652a9e68]
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY   8. sessionid.useragencycode: *
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY   9. MenuClient: []
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY   10. sessionid.logonusername: pgo
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY   11. sessionid.logonpassword: serverauthorized
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY   12. sessionid.usertype: E
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY   13. sessionid.username: pgo
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY   14. sessionid.connection:
com.clipper.tools.ConnectionHolder@896f1e68
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY SLoginUser_doGet: Page to process= FQController
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY FQController_doGet: Previous session had a
Time-out
P4CGZHTYKSKYUEBFEKP3OAY FQController_doGet:      URL is now:
errorsession.jsp

Patrick Goovaerts
WebMaster
Clipper Support nv