From: Hall, Philip [mailto:phall@spss.com]
Sent: Friday, May 24, 2002 10:16 AM
To: java400-l@midrange.com
Subject: RE: Very Slow Run Time on AS/400 for Java Program

Hello,

> PreparedStatement pstmt_select = ca.prepareStatement
>     ("SELECT LWHS, LLOC, LPROD, LLOT, (LOPB - LISSU + LADJU + LRCT -
> LIALOC), LOPB, LISSU, LADJU, LRCT, LIALOC FROM " +
> as400Library + ".ILI");

One thing I have noticed, contrary to the normal belief, is that prepared
statements are some times slower than re-building the SQL statement.

One recent project on Windows2K using SQL7, individual "insert into's" where
10x *faster* than using a prepared statement and I was just changing the
data. I was testing as we had records to add to the same table (about 20 odd
fields) and in this case a prepared statement was worse.

I finally implemented it using bulk loading, which is lightening fast...

108000 records
-  prepared statement takes about forever
-  individual inserts takes about 7 mins
-  bulk loading takes about just over a minute

--phil