>> 1) Domino is running for a while.  (After shutting down and startup
>> performance is better for a while)

>Domino is something I avoid.  I don't think Domino lives well with other
>applications, which I believe is one of the reasons IBM came out with the
>dedicated Domino server.

I guess I'll throw my 2 cents in on Domino.  I've found Domino to be very
reliable and efficient when running a stable version along with the proper
OS/400 ptfs.  The most stable versions of Domino have been 5.0.5, 5.0.8.01
and 5.0.9a.  If you're running an earlier version I would suggest you
upgrade.  There also is a Domino specific web site for OS/400 ptfs which I
highly recommended you keep up to date on.

Additionally with Domino, when most people install the product, they
install with many tasks running which aren't needed in most environments.
An example is the billing task, which tracks usage by users -- this is a
very resource intensive process and probably is not needed in 99% of the
Domino installs, but when installing the product it's easy to select that
billing be loaded and started automatically.

The primary reason IBM came out with the DSD boxes is to have a more cost
competitive solution against WinTel.  For example the DSDs have 0
interactive capability, which if Domino is all that's running then
interactive cpu is not needed.  Eliminating interactive cpu capability in
theory should lower the price of the hardware.

We're just starting on the WebSphere road but have been a Domino shop for
years, now thankfully on the iSeries.  We run an MRP application along with
a Windows based financial and billing app on NetServer on our 270 and
everything coexists quite nicely.

Again -- very important to keep up to date on the Domino ptfs...

Bob

                    "Joe Pluta"
                    <joepluta@PlutaBro       To:     <java400-l@midrange.com>
                    thers.com>               cc:
                    Sent by:                 Subject:     RE: WebSphere on NT
vs. AS/400
                    java400-l-admin@mi
                    drange.com

                    05/14/2002 04:12
                    PM
                    Please respond to
                    java400-l

> From: Patrick Goovaerts
>
> - No, it's not IBM or a Business Partner who told us to install on a
> Win2000 system (or NT).  However it's a company with lot's of AS400
> experience at both hardware and software level.

Well, they're wrong.  Like I said, I run WebSphere just fine on my model
270.  I know of people running WebSphere on machines of various sizes, and
not seeing any of the problems you are seeing.

> 1) Domino is running for a while.  (After shutting down and startup
> performance is better for a while)

Domino is something I avoid.  I don't think Domino lives well with other
applications, which I believe is one of the reasons IBM came out with the
dedicated Domino server.

> 2) When accomplishing tasks from within AdminConsole. (Like adding apps,
> servlets, start/stop etc...)

This can be a problem, I suppose.  I rarely have to do any of this,
however.
I use the default servlet invoker and I rarely if ever have to shutdown and
restart an application.  I usually only do it when I modify a JAR file.

> We have lost too much time 'waiting' and are planning to put Domino on a
> separate machine in future.  For now, we would like to install WAS on a
> Win2000 machine.

Good luck.  Moving your web application development to Win2K is a bad idea,
in my opinion.  I have seen no need for it.  I suspect that if you offload
the Domino workload, you will find that WebSphere runs much better, and you
won't have to consider offloading to a Windows machine.

Your problems may have something to do with your application architecture
as
well.  I have found that the best performance occurs when your Java layer
is
very thin, and your business logic is written in RPG.  You mentioned
connection pooling, which makes me think you might be using JDBC.  I have
strong reservations about any application that has lots of database I/O in
the Java code.

But in any event, it seems like you are well along your path to Windows.  I
think you are making a huge mistake, one that could actually endanger your
entire application development, but that's my opinion.

Joe