All I am saying is only "special" user profiles get to work with folders
(the QDLS file system).  When folders came out many years ago it was
foreign to the AS/400.  After all, what is a hierarchical file system doing
on the AS/400?  To make the system 'safe', only user profiles that were
entered into a special directory were allowed access to folders.  By
directory I don't mean a directory in ifs (created by MKDIR), I mean a
table on the iSeries.  WRKDIRE is the command you use to work with the
table.  Sign on a green screen and do WRKFLR (work with folders).  If it
doesn't work there is a good chance you are not in the table.  Or, sign on
to a green screen and do WRKLNK '/qdls/*'.  If you get 'file system error'
there is a good chance you are not in the table.

Not being in this table, and not be authorized to QDLS are the only two
reasons I can think of for not being able to access the QDLS part of the
file system.  I was able to put to a folder in QDLS using a small testcase
that used FTP.

David Wall
Toolbox for Java
iSeries ODBC Driver for Linux

                      Glenn Holmer
                      <gholmer@weycogro        To:       java400-l@midrange.com
                      up.com>                  cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: AS400FTP to QDLS
                      java400-l-admin@m
                      idrange.com

                      04/23/2002 04:09
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      java400-l

Dave Wall wrote:
> What error do you get when your CD to a folder fails?  Make sure you are
in
> the system distribution directory.  You cannot access folders unless you
> are in the directory.  Use WRKDIRE to display and update directory
entries.

What does "system distribution directory" mean?
I think you may have misunderstood my question, I am doing this:

     String msg;
     boolean b;
     String[] files;
     int i;

     wms400 = new AS400("wms400", "java", "java");
     ftp400 = new AS400FTP(wms400);
     try {
       ftp400.connect();
       System.out.println("wd: " + ftp400.pwd());

       msg = ftp400.issueCommand("SITE NAMEFMT 1");
       System.out.println("result: " + msg);

       b = ftp400.cd("/QDLS");
       // b = ftp400.cd("/java");
       System.out.println("could cd? " + b);
       System.out.println("wd: " + ftp400.pwd());

       files = ftp400.dir();
       System.out.println(files.length + " files found:");
       for (i = 0; i < files.length; i++) {
         System.out.println(files[i]);
       }
     } catch (Exception exc) {
       System.out.println(exc.getMessage());
       System.exit(1);
     }

and getting this output:

wd: 257  "/" is current directory.
result: 250  Now using naming format "1".
could cd? true
wd: 257  "/QDLS" is current directory.
0 files found:

When I uncomment the ftp400.cd("/java") line instead, I get a proper
directory listing of that directory in the IFS:

wd: 257  "/" is current directory.
result: 250  Now using naming format "1".
could cd? true
wd: 257  "/java" is current directory.
7 files found:
GLENNH          69632 02/22/02 15:37:07 *DIR       com/
GLENNH            491 06/14/01 15:09:29 *STMF      WmsTest.class
GLENNH            524 06/14/01 13:13:55 *STMF      HelloWorld.class
QSECOFR           208 06/14/01 13:12:36 *STMF      HelloWorld.java
GLENNH            161 12/27/01 10:12:18 *STMF      HiWorld.java
GLENNH            438 01/14/02 08:22:53 *STMF      HiWorld.class
GLENNH          61440 03/21/02 13:25:15 *DIR       test/