David,

Not too late at all, I am still experimenting.
I am working on a native version of Ant for
the iSeries. I really don't know how many or
what commands to expect. I have a wrapper that
could do setup and cleanup. As far as abnormal
ends, etc. I can register a cleanup exit program
and/or use a scope message at the job level if
necessary.

A timeout is reasonable, and could be configurable
in the design that I have. Right now, I am
concentrating on the tasks necessary to compile
from CVS. The CRTRPGMOD command threw a curve
because it will not run in a multi-threaded
environment.

I am having a hard time deciding whether Lo's
suggestion to use JDBC is worth pursuing. I
already have a server built that can run
commands but it is geared toward CL and RPG.
I could extend that to integrate better with
Java.

What would you suggest for running the commands?
I can use CommandCall or right now I have the
code set up to use a CallableStatement. That is
just what I have tried. The command call seems
to work well because of the message support,
but that doesn't mean that CallableStatement
or ? could not do the same thing.

Thanks,

David Morris

>>> dawall@us.ibm.com 04/02/02 08:14 AM >>>

One question (sorry this is late but just got back from vacation) -- how
far apart are your commands?  Each AS400 object represents a connection
a single server job.  As long as the connection stays up all commands
will
be handled by the same job.  So, a set of commands run through the same
AS400 object will run in the same job as long as the connection does not
drop between commands.  Using the same AS400 object may not be practical
if
there is a lot of time between commands, but it should work for commands
that are close (especially of the connection is reliable).

David Wall
Toolbox for Java
iSeries ODBC Driver for Linux

                      "David Morris"
                      <David.Morris@plu        To:
<java400-l@midrange.com>
                      mcreek.com>              cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Server Jobs
                      java400-l-admin@m
                      idrange.com

                      04/01/2002 11:15
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      java400-l

Group,

I have a Java program that needs a
specialized environment to run several
CL commands. If I use the CommandCall
class, I get a new job for each
command. I could submit my own server
that processes these commands and then
end it when I am done, but this seems
like it would be such a common task, I
thought I would check to see if I
missed it in the toolbox or if anyone
else has tackled this.

The command call class works very well
for what I am doing except that I
cannot reconnect to the same server.
One solution I am thinking about is a
submitting a job that sits on a data
queue waiting for commands and returning
messages and completion status of each
command.

Thanks,

David Morris