Thanks very much David. I'll take a look at this.

Chris Jewell

-----Original Message-----
From: java400-l-admin@midrange.com
[mailto:java400-l-admin@midrange.com]On Behalf Of David Morris
Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2002 4:51 PM
To: java400-l@midrange.com
Subject: IBM iSeries at JavaOne (was RE: JDK 1.4???)

Chris,

Along those lines, the NAWT support is nice to see. It is not perfect,
but
I expect to see major improvement in the future. Here is a link to some

more information:

http://www.midrangeserver.com/guruo/mgo031302-story01.html

The main limitation is that it ties you to the 1.2 JDK. If you use the

PASE or Qshell environment, you might check out the developer
tools, which are only about $200 and make installing X-Windows
much easier.

David Morris

>>> jewellcj@jewellconsult.com 03/28/02 03:18PM >>>
I'm not sure when JDK 1.4 will be available, but I do know that the
support
for RAWT is supposed to be a lot better (ie: faster, swing). I know
this
because, just by chance, while here at JavOne 2002, I bumped into the
guy
who actually was/is the lead for RAWT at Rochester! It was real good to
talk
to another AS/400er at JavaOne; the IBM people at the IBM Booth,
however,
really do not seem to want to talk about iSeries (or at least when I
visited) - I know that this is a conference oriented towards software
and
not hardware, but why not trumpet the superb JVM, integration etc.,
etc.? I
remember, at JavaOne 2000 the IBM booth actually had a very visible
iSeries
for behind the scenes admin stuff at the booth, and one or two IBM-ers
who
could talk about what the iSeries has to offer.

Interestingly, a speaker from SilverStream in a talk about Web
Services
(.Net vs. J2EE) referred to mainframes as 'legacy platforms' and
iSeries as
a platform for 'Packaged Applications': this seemed to me to be a
great
differentiator for the iSeries.

Another interesting trend, pervasive here at the JavaOne conference, is
the
talk about 'Rich Clients'. We used to call them 'Thick Clients'. The
now
widely recognized inadequacy of the browser interface as a full
featured
graphical interface, and also new support for Web Services in the Java
API
(JAX-RPC, JAXR) have both given development of complex Java client
applications a new focus. Of course support for Client application
development on the desktop is the number one strength of Microsoft,
and so
there will be some fascinating interplay here. Right now, though, Java
seems
to have the upper hand in relation to supporting a diversity of client
types - I would say that about 30% of the sessions speak to mobile
clients
which Java supports very nicely with J2ME.

(I think I'll try RAWT again, when I get back to the office!)

Chris Jewell