 >> If you need newly written native procedures for performance reasons, it
would be a better choice to use c modules, they are (more or less) portable
as
source code.

Oh darn and we were agreeing on so much <grin>

I would no more use C developing a business app than I would use Java for
writing an OS.  RPG is alive and well and has more than enough horsepower
for business processing.  I suspect you have not kept up with RPG or you
wouldn't be saying things like:

 >>  The RPG programmer writing the JNI code has to deal with c in the
prototypes anyway.

Which is just plain not true.  As I said in an earlier post - all I need to
do to allow Java to call an RPG method is to add the keyword
EXTPROC (*Java:'className':'methodName')
to the prototype of a regular piece of RPG code.  Compile it, add it to a
service program and I'm done.  JNI - what JNI?  The compiler just did all
that for me.  When it comes to RPG creating Java objects and using them, the
story is a tiny bit more complex - I have to code the whole prototype for
each Java method that I want to use.  Luckily David Morris (?) has already
done this for most methods in the standard Java classes and I believe has a
Java based tool which builds the protos for any custom classes.  Again JNI -
what JNI - the compiler does the work!

Jon Paris
Partner400