Dieter,

You are right that encapsulating your RPG calls in a stored
procedure is easier than JNI. If performance and/or compatibility
is a concern, I would look to a data queue.

Even if you encapsulate your code in SQL, you will have
to deal with multiple threads. RPG Stored procedures and
functions run in their own thread, and impose the same
limitations you mentioned with direct calls to Java from
RPG. You are just less likely to end up seeing this because
RPG programmers generally do not have a need to
synchronize their code. You do have to deal with differences
in the way files are handled. For example, shared opens are
not allowed.

David Morris

>>> Dieter.Bender@t-online.de 03/19/02 02:22AM >>>
...In my opinion, rpg is the old world and java the new world. And
there
coexistence is using already coded rpg modules in java applications.
And the
easiest way to do this is registering them as stored procedures (for
programs) or UDFs for functions. The flexibility is better than jni
and
performance is an issue of hardware (and marketing = pricing of the
as400);
threading issues ar handled by the driver, you don't need to change
anything
of your rpg code; if you don't want to serialize everything, you might
use
multiple (pooled for performance) connections....

Dieter Bender