At every COMMON conference I give a presentation on JDBC performance.  One
of the last topics in that is building connection and statement pooling
into applications.  While I wouldn't call the pool that I provide world
class by any stretch of the imagination, I think it does (and has for many,
many people) provide a good starting point for building one.  The
presentation and all souce code for can be downloaded from our external web
site at:  http://www.as400.ibm.com/developer/jdbc/index.html

Of note:  The information about building a Connection pool/Statement pool
will probably get removed from this Spring COMMON presentation and replaced
with information on using some of our new DataSource classes to accomplish
the same thing.  There was just in an article in News/400 (this month...
last month... I don't know... I still have never seen the final article)
about using DataSources this way.

Whichever you prefer... either should help get you started.   Feel free to
send me comments on what you think of the information or improvement
suggestions.

And FWIW:  the next version of the Developer Kit for Java manual will have
a much expanded JDBC section including extensive information on both of
these techniques.

Richard D. Dettinger
AS/400 Java Data Access Team

Democracy's enemies have always underestimated the courage of the American
people.
It was true at Concord Bridge.  It was true at Pearl Harbor.  And it was
true today.

         Rochester Post-Bulletin
         Tuesday September 11, 2001

|         |           David Gibbs      |
|         |           <david@midrange.c|
|         |           om>              |
|         |           java400-l-admin@m|
|         |           idrange.com      |
|         |           01/17/2002 07:20 |
|         |           java400-l        |

  |       To:       java400-l@midrange.com
                                               |
  |       cc:
                                               |
  |       Subject:  ConnectionPool example?

Folks:

Does anyone have a good example of using a ConnectionPool for JDBC to the
400?

Thanks!

david