 I use absolute location to tell servlet where to find a file.
File file = new File("/home/myfile.txt").

 To tell servlet which driver to use I use a few lines of code to detect if
the servlet is running on window or on A400. This way I don't have to use a
property file.

 class JDBCDataSource {

  private Connection conn;
  private String toolboxDriver = "com.ibm.as400.access.AS400JDBCDriver";
  private String db2Driver = "com.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2Driver";
  private String toolboxURL = "jdbc:as400://myas400";
  private String db2URL = "jdbc:db2://*LOCAL";

   public JDBCDataSource() {

     String os   = System.getProperty("os.name");
     try  // load jdbc driver...
    {
      if (os.indexOf("Windows") >=0 )
      {
        System.out.println("This is a Window OS!");
        Class.forName(toolboxDriver);
      } else {
        System.out.println("This is an AS400!");
        Class.forName(db2Driver);
      }
    } catch(ClassNotFoundException exc) {
      System.out.println("no jdbc");
    }

    try  // Connect to database...
    {
      if (os.indexOf("Windows") >=0 )

       conn = DriverManager.getConnection(toolboxURL,"JIN","passwd");
      } else {
        conn = DriverManager.getConnection(db2URL);
      }
    } catch(SQLException exc) {

      System.out.println("connection failed");