From: Joe Pluta [mailto:joepluta@PlutaBrothers.com]
Sent: 06 December 2001 21:34
To: java400-l@midrange.com
Subject: JTOPEN NEEDS YOU!

Okay, now that I've got your attention (hopefully), I'd like to make a
request.  Many of you probably know that the Java Toolbox is actually an
(almost) open source project.  Other than some obviously security-related
classes, the fine folks on the Toolbox team have made the source freely
available for us in the JTOpen project.  That's here:

http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/jt400/

I'm guessing that just about everybody on this list uses the toolbox.  What
the JTOpen project would like is to find out who exactly that is.  If you're
using the toolbox in a commercial product, please, please let us know what
you're usign it for.  If you're using it for an internal project, let us
know that too, if you can.  We're trying to get a feel for who is using the
toolbox, and for what.

Also, we're beginning a new initiative.  On the JTOpen page, you'll
currently find a whole list of "unassigned tasks".  Chris Smith has offered
to group these tasks into "umbrella projects", roughly akin to the various
subprojects of the Jakarta group.  For example, one will be "record level
access", which will be nominally headed by your (not so) humble moderator.
There will probably be another for display files, and perhaps another for
queueing, and so on.

We'd like to get outside participation.  At the least, if you have a need
for something related to one of the subprojects, let us know.  Even better,
if you'd like to get involved in the actual implementation, definitely let
us know.  You can probably even lead a subproject if you have the time and
inclination.  I'm a member of the JTOpen Core Team, so feel free to contact
me with any questions you might have about this process.  This is your
chance to have input into the direction of the Toolbox and even help move it
ahead.

Also, if you have a different area that might need addressing, feel free.
For example, one area I want to address is the integration between web user
IDs and AS/400 user profiles.  I'd like a way to translate a web user ID to
a user profile handle without having to know the password; I would like to
avoid having passwords in application programs, especially Java programs.  I
see an AS/400 object that can be accessed via a Java method to return a
profile handle for a web ID.  Obviously, you would need authority to both
the object and the user profile, but I think that's a better solution than
having passwords in the clear, however briefly, in your application program.

Anyway, feel free to ask questions either here or privately.

Joe Pluta
www.plutabrothers.com
joepluta@plutabrothers.com