The error message from the Toolbox driver says it cannot get (create a
socket connection) from the source machine to the target machine.  Can you
ping the target machine?  Are the servers started on the target machine?

David Wall
AS/400 Toolbox for Java

                    marv.edmondson@mho
                    .com                     To:     java400-l@midrange.com
                    Sent by:                 cc:
                    java400-l-admin@mi       Subject:     Need help with JDBC
on AS400
                    drange.com

                    11/01/2001 10:40
                    AM
                    Please respond to
                    java400-l

> We just loaded V4R5 and the new Websphere. Now my connection (JDBC)
doesn't
work! Any ideas as to why ????????
properities are:......................

url=jdbc:as400://MYSYSTEM

driver=com.ibm.as400.access.AS400JDBCDriver

CODE snips:...............................

 con = null;
      // Load the driver to allow connection to the database
      try {
         // Declare the connection information.
           getProps();

         // This will register the driver with DriverManager.
         Class.forName(dbProp.getProperty("driver"));

         con = DriverManager.getConnection(
    dbProp.getProperty("url"),
    dbProp.getProperty("user") ,
    dbProp.getProperty("password"));
      }
      catch ( ClassNotFoundException cnfex ) {
         System.err.println(
            "Failed to load JDBC/ODBC driver." );
         cnfex.printStackTrace();
         System.exit( 1 );  // terminate program

      }
      catch ( SQLException sqlex ) {
         System.err.println( "Unable to connect" );
         sqlex.printStackTrace();
ERROR:............................................
starting application C:\RPGJAVA\TableDisplay.class
Command line: "C:\jdk1.3.1\bin\java.exe" -classpath
C:\RPGJAVA;C:\jt400\lib\jt400.zip;C:\jdk1.3.1\servlet.jar TableDisplay
The current directory is: C:\RPGJAVA
Unable to connect
java.sql.SQLException: The application requester cannot establish the
connection.
 at com.ibm.as400.access.JDError.throwSQLException(JDError.java:324)
 at
com.ibm.as400.access.AS400JDBCConnection.open(AS400JDBCConnection.java:1074)

 at
com.ibm.as400.access.AS400JDBCConnection.<init>(AS400JDBCConnection.java:248)

 at com.ibm.as400.access.AS400JDBCDriver.connect(AS400JDBCDriver.java:221)
 at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:517)
 at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:177)
 at TableDisplay.<init>(tabledisplay.java:44)
 at TableDisplay.main(tabledisplay.java:222)