You asked:

   2.  I tried FTP from PC to AS400.  But I can only FTP to an AS400
   library,
   not in a IFS directory.  Of cource, I could then copy the files from the
   library into IFS using CPYTOSTMF.  But that will take two steps and I
   have a
   lot of files to transfer.

   Is there any other ways to do this?

This is a frequently asked question.

>From the PC side:

ftp youriSeriesorAS400Box
quote namefmt 1
cd /your/IFS/directory
bin
put yourProgram.java

>From the OS/400 side:

ftp yourPCBox
namefmt 1
lcd /your/IFS/directory
cd your/PC/directory
bin
get yourProgram.java

You may not need the "bin" but I often use it to avoid some problems.  The
javac compiler will accept both Unix and PC type text files.  Transferring
in binary will avoid some of the oddball things that can happen with
carriage returns and line feeds.  If you are transferring class files
instead of java files (recommended in most cases), the "bin" is vital.

The "namefmt 1" is the command which switches you from the regular OS/400
file system to IFS in FTP.  You will get some error messages sometimes when
sending this, because if your PC receives the command also, it will
complain.  But, that is fine because only the OS/400 needs to see it.  So,
the PC can complain as long as the OS/400 gets the command correctly.

I find it important to do the namefmt1 and the cd before doing any other
work.  Sometimes, OS/400's FTP won't change from one side to the other in
a single FTP session.  If this happens to you, exit FTP and try again.

Larry W. Loen  -   Senior Linux, Java, and iSeries Performance Analyst
                          Dept HP4, Rochester MN