Hi all,

we have been developing a java based application for the past 1 year. the
first phase is almost over. some of the issues we faced are -

        1. Lack of experienced people in Java. For starters also, RPG learning
takes much less time . They program and start delivering in 2 months time.
Whereas with Java people get bogged down with nitty gritties of Java and
Object Orientation to an extent where they often forget the business logic
itself. For e.g. if you have 3 to 4 combo boxes on the screen and if one
triggers the filling of other and vice versa, the listeners really play
squash. YOU OVER SHOOT TIME LIMITS, FRUSTRATION FOLLOWS, A CUT IN YOUR PAY
CHECK ARE THE CONSEQUENCES.

        2. When it comes to developing reports like the ones developed &
implemented using RLU - EXCPT (RPG OpCode, it is another set of woes. You
don't have many reporting tools that integrates with java. They are too
expensive too. If you go for Crystal Reports, then u need to write a C++
interface. Still u don't have any control over Crystal Report once it is
invoked through this interface. Crystal Reports does not recognize the
database object passed by java, whereas it does understand the result sets
sent by VB etc. HERE WE STAND THE RISK OF LOSING THE CUSTOMERS CONFIDENCE
WHEN HE DOES NOT GET REPORTS AS HE USED TO GET WHILE USING AN RPG
APPLICATION.

        3. Next is the problem with ID generation. Suppose u want continuous
generation of employee ID's in a sequential manner. So if u keep the last ID
in a physical file and decide to use a trigger-program combination(which was
the only solution we found to be feasible)then comes the next set of
problems. In a mulitple user environment 2 users can get the same id. To
prevent this  we use a Data Queue. And put the generated ID into the Data
Queue thereby making it possible for requester program to pick it up from
the Data Queue. PALTFORM INDEPENDENCE IS COMPROMISED.

To sum it up, the amount of learning a new guy needs to do and the amount of
self moulding of one's thinking when programming with java is too high. This
leaves both the employee and the employer disillusioned !!!

Thanx for your patience and sorry. Now my question, does everyone face such
problems? If yes what is your approach in solving these issues ? Economic
recession added, Does your company still have the confidence to place bets
on java ?

Thanks

Cheers
Vijosh