Joe,

Could you refer to more info about the technique of encapsulate the database
access in an object? or your class  details?  Thanks a lot.

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Pluta [mailto:joepluta@PlutaBrothers.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2001 10:21 AM
To: java400-l@midrange.com
Subject: RE: SQL update/insert for a string contain " ' "

You're absolutely right, Dan.  I assume that I will be writing for the
AS/400.  Any other assumption is a poor one for my clients.

However, that's really not the issue here.  The issue is a broader one: is
SQL a valid approach when accessing AS/400 data from an OO language.  The
answer is a resounding NO!  Since he's writing in Java, he could easily
encapsulate the database access in an object.  In fact, I'm giving a class
on exactly that technique at COMMON.  Then, if for some reason you need to
access data on another database, you can attach a different data source and
your application won't know you changed.

Especially in an OO environment, it is never a valid argument to sacrifice
performance for the sake of "possible futures".  Since you can easily alter
the behavior of any class, you should always write for performance, but
encapsulate your code.

If you think about it, SQL, with all its inefficiency, was simply a first
attempt at encapsulating data access.  With true OO languages, the
requirement for this crude form of encapsulation has been removed, and so
the argument of "maybe someday moving to a different platform" is removed.
If you move to another platform, you'll have to rewrite your data access
objects, but that should be a relatively trivial procedure.  In fact, if you
want to have one version of SQL and one version of native access, you have
the best of both worlds.

If your idea of delivering quality product is to sacrifice real performance
for your user today for the sake of a possible easier conversion for
yourself sometime in the future, then I submit that perhaps your definition
of quality and mine are different.

You want the soapbox back?  <grin>

Joe