You could write your own subfile component like we've done.
The records shown in the table are retrieved by calling a
ILE RPG program on the AS/400. The subfile component contains
one page maximum (full dynamic)

Every user action is translated into calling a driver program with
an input parameter containing program code, request code, view(index),
key values first and last record, ...

The driver calls the program needed which receives a request code
(e.g. "PageDown") after which
- key and other values are parsed
- the file gets positioned at the correct position
- the number of records are read (if possible) and values parsed
- the result is send back as an output parameter

The table component parses the record values and return codes
(EOF, BOF, ...) to show the result on the screen.

Without realizing this at the beginning this concept slowly
developped into a framework which allows us to write overview-detail
programs rather quickly. We made RPG skeleton sources and a java framework
to be used whenever new programs have to be written.

The only thing left to do is to write a generator that will generate java
and
rpg source code (using the framework) for overviews, details, commands,
statistics and other types of programs. We only need some extra time...

Geert Van Landeghem
Reynders Etiketten