>I would not recommend the Web Facing tool anyway. You have to maintain
>RPG and Java for any changes to the application. It's no way to Java.

Hi Dieter!  I have been to a site who are using WebFacing.  When they change
their RPG code, the WebFaced version does not change at all.  Only if the
DDS changes do you need to re-convert the DDS and re-create the Java
objects.

You have a good point when you say it's no way to Java, but that is one of
the selling points: One can deploy Java applications without any Java
programmers.  Whether this is a good long-term strategy is another question.

>And what about Websphere on AS/400??? The full featured enterprise
>edition is neither available for as400 nor announced; when big blue
>takes it away from as400 your applications are taken away.

I am researching running my jsp's with Tomcat, but your remarks are correct.

>And what about rewriting all tools (VAJ, Websphere development studio
>etc.) based on eclipse - that will change all of this tools and the
>applications as well. then you throw away all VAJ stuff and maybe your
>web-faced apps too. Dieter

That is another unknown, but the history of IBM is that one can keep the
older codebase running even on the latest machine.  It's not impossible that
they will change this policy, but it doesn't seem likely.

How would you bring up a real Java application that works with a package
created by a CASE tool?  (I'm desperately struggling to stay on topic!)
  --buck