This will always be the case.  A PC is essentially a single-purpose CPU,
while the AS/400 is doing all the things in the background that make it a
true multi-purpose business machine.  Try to load your PC with all the
software necessary to duplicate AS/400 functions such as multi-user support,
system integrity, security, backup, job scheduling, print spooling, locking,
database I/O, and so on, and then see if it runs at all, much less with any
sort of performance.

Joe