  • Subject: RE: AS400 Toolbox problems - ServiceProgramCall
  • From: "Price, Chris" <chris_price@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 16:18:28 +0100

Thanks for your example.

Unfortunately it didn't work on my system as we don't seem to have a
QTOCNETSTS service program.

I'm trying to call my own service program, written in RPG IV.
The Java class sets the String input parameter to a test value, and calls
the procedure. The procedure compares the passed in string to a value, and
if the same returns 99, otherwise returns -1. If written as a service
program, the return value is always -1. Yet if I convert the service program
into a program, making the nessesscary changes to the class, the return
value is 99.

Here's a sample of my Java & RPG code:

public class Temp
{
public static void main(String[] parameters) {

    AS400 as400 = new AS400();

    QSYSObjectPathName sprogramName =
        new QSYSObjectPathName("R1005DVOBJ", "CJPTEST", "SRVPGM");

    ServiceProgramCall spgm = new ServiceProgramCall(as400);

    //Service Program Call
    try {
        // One Parameter - String in. Returns short

        ProgramParameter[] parmlist = new ProgramParameter[1];

        AS400Text text1 = new AS400Text(10, as400);
        byte[] text = text1.toBytes("CHRISPRICE");
//        parmlist[0] = new ProgramParameter(text);
        parmlist[0] = new ProgramParameter();
        parmlist[0].setInputData(text);
        parmlist[0].setParameterType(ProgramParameter.PASS_BY_VALUE);

        //run the serivce program
        spgm.setProgram(sprogramName.getPath(), parmlist);
        spgm.setProcedureName("CJPTEST_PROC");
        if (spgm.run() != true) {
            AS400Message[] msgList = spgm.getMessageList();
            System.out.println("The program did not run.  AS/400
messages:");
            for (int i = 0; i < msgList.length; i++) {
                System.out.println(msgList[i].getText());
            }
        } else {
            AS400Bin2 as400Int = new AS400Bin2();
            byte[] as400Data = spgm.getReturnValue();
            short result = as400Int.toShort(as400Data, 0);
            System.out.println("Service Program Call Result is : " +
result);

        }

    } catch (Exception e) {
        System.out.println("Service Program call failed");
        System.out.println(e);
    }

    System.exit(0);

The very simple RPG module:
D CJPTEST_PROC    PR             5I 0
D  String                       10     Value

P CJPTEST_PROC    B                    Export
D                 PI             5I 0
D String                        10     Value
C                   If        String = 'CHRISPRICE'
C                   Return    99
C                   Else
C                   Return    -1
C                   Endif