  • Subject: RE: JDBC Data Source - Data Access Beans
  • From: "DUCRET Gilles (GVA)" <Gilles.DUCRET@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 10:18:33 +0200

Title: RE: JDBC Data Source - Data Access Beans

I think that the main advantage with Data beans provided by IBM is
not really the caching, but the programmatic facilities.

You have a "JDBC2 like" way of accessing data. The caching is one more functionnality,
but it is the caching of the content of one result set, not a table. The interesting thing
in this case is that you don't have to hold the result set, the statements, etc ...
(but you cannot release the connection)

What we do here: we access data using stored procedure (we use the data beans functionnalities to
read the results). We can manage performance issues at the stored proc level (loading, etc ...)
We only cache read only objects (in a cache for business objects), but not the lists.
The performance are good and we don't have to manage any consistency between the state of an object
and the database.