  • Subject: RE: System.exit
  • From: "Mark Phippard" <MarkP@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 16:09:21 -0400

It would be nice if there was a way to tell RUNJVA to just issue an esacpe
message, but your workaround will certainly do the job for me.

Thanks.

                    mandy.shaw@Notabil

                    ity.com                   To:     JAVA400-L@midrange.com

                    Sent by:                  cc:

                    owner-java400-l@mi        Subject:     RE: System.exit

                    drange.com

                    05/18/01 03:28 PM

                    Please respond to

                    JAVA400-L

Got it.
Submit JAVA or RUNJVA to batch, exit code 1, job ends normally (which it
should not do, in my view).
HOWEVER, run this CL program
PGM
JAVA CLASS(RunSQLStatement) CLASSPATH('/shawm')
   MONMSG JVA0000 EXEC(DO)
      SNDPGMMSG MSGID(CPF9898) MSGF(QCPFMSG) +
                  MSGDTA('ERROR') MSGTYPE(*ESCAPE)
      ENDDO
ENDPGM
and it ends abnormally, as it should.
Tiny bug in OS/400 ? What do people think ?
Anyway hopefully that's a solution for Mark.
Mandy

|--------+----------------------->
|        |          "Mark        |
|        |          Phippard"    |
|        |          <MarkP@softla|
|        |          nding.com>   |
|        |                       |
|        |          18/05/01     |
|        |          18:49        |
|        |          Please       |
|        |          respond to   |
|        |          JAVA400-L    |
|        |                       |
|--------+----------------------->
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |       To:     JAVA400-L@midrange.com                                  |
  |       cc:     (bcc: Mandy Shaw/ESolutions/Notability)                 |
  |       Subject:     RE: System.exit                                    |
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------|

Mandy,

The way I am testing is to submit the RUNJVA to batch.  If the RUNJVA ends
with a *ESCAPE, then the batch job would end abnormally.  Mine ends
normally.

I can see in the QPRINT and in the job log that the program completed with
exit code 1, but my message is type *DIAG.  Are you doing anything special
in an environment variable or something to get it to be *ESCAPE?

I am on V4R5 with the latest group PTF's.

Thanks

Mark

                    mandy.shaw@Notabil
                    ity.com                   To:
JAVA400-L@midrange.com
                    Sent by:                  cc:
                    owner-java400-l@mi        Subject:     RE: System.exit
                    drange.com

                    05/18/01 12:46 PM
                    Please respond to
                    JAVA400-L

Just tried it.

                        Additional Message Information

 Message ID . . . . . . :   JVA0122       Severity . . . . . . . :   00
 Message type . . . . . :   Escape
 Date sent  . . . . . . :   18/05/01      Time sent  . . . . . . :
16:46:52

 Message . . . . :   Java program completed with exit code 1

It's definitely an escape message, I tried with a DDM SBMRTCMD as well,
just to make sure, and it treated it as an ordinary escape message.

Mandy

|--------+------------------------>
|        |          "Clapham,     |
|        |          Paul"         |
|        |          <pclapham@core|
|        |          -mark.com>    |
|        |                        |
|        |          18/05/01 17:11|
|        |          Please respond|
|        |          to JAVA400-L  |
|        |                        |
|--------+------------------------>
  |       To:     JAVA400-L@midrange.com                                  |
  |       cc:     (bcc: Mandy Shaw/ESolutions/Notability)                 |
  |       Subject:     RE: System.exit                                    |

No, I was under the impression that System.exit(1) did cause RUNJVA to
fail.
I haven't had time to check this out, but you could try "int i = 1/0;"
instead.

PC2