  • Subject: RE: VisualAge for Java
  • From: "Clapham, Paul" <pclapham@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 11:41:38 -0700

I have to disagree with some of Joe's statements, too.  We installed VAJ
Enterprise in our environment; at first there was only me using it, so after
I installed all of our classes in it, they all belonged to me.  Then our
second programmer came back from the training course.  He's more of a
beginner than me, so I started him off with changing some things in MY
classes.

Now Joe says "Instead, all requirements should be given to the class's
owner, who should implement them."  Well, no.  That would mean I could only
give the new programmer complete classes to write, which is too much for a
beginner to attempt.  In most development environments, requirements for
changes often arise that are reasonably simple for anyone to implement;
there should be no management rule that requires the class owner to
implement them.  VAJ Enterprise does require the class owner to approve
them, and that's a perfectly reasonable rule.

Right now, with only two people using it, the management of VAJ Enterprise
isn't too bad; it's just a matter of shouting over the cubicle wall "New
version of Package X!".  But I can see that for an environment with a dozen
programmers, one of them would have to be designated as Source Control Czar
and spend a lot of time chasing people to update their versions with
everyone else's work.

PC2