  • Subject: Authentication solution for applet using JDBC on an employee Intranet
  • From: "Patrick L Archibald" <Patrick.Archibald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 14:33:19 -0400

Hi

I have a question about authentication methods
regarding applets.  My system is V4R5, WAS 3.5.2.

I have a applet on my employee Intranet
using the jtopen JDBC driver in jt400.jar.
It displays some hierarchical data in a swing JTree.
It is working fine.

The employee Intranet has basic authentication,
set up in the http configuration,
requiring an AS/400 user profile and password.

My problem is I would like to avoid the request for
user id and password when making a JDBC connection
via the applet.  I don't have this problem in my
servlets. From what I can tell and read, servlet
JDBC connections use the user profile QEJBSVR
I'm using the native DB2 JDBC driver in the servlets.

Here are the solutions I've thought of, none of
which I like:

1. Create a profile for running JBDC queries and hard-code it in my applets.
2. Add a password to QEJBSVR and hard-code it in my applets.
3. Require the user to key his profile and password again, first when logging
on to the Intranet and second when the applet makes
the JDBC connection.

I wish the applet would use the profile and password used in the http
authentication to the Intranet. That would be ideal.  Does
anyone else have a solution that is simple and easy to administer?

Thanx, PLA
/
/ Patrick L Archibald
/ http://HomeTelco.com/pla/