  • Subject: Re: ProgramCall and ProgramParameter classes
  • From: Eric Merritt <cyberlync@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 14:09:59 -0700 (PDT)

The only point I will disagree with David on is the
use of ProgramCall as the preffered option given a
choice. The main strength of Java is its cross
platform nature, both in the backend and the front. As
soon as you introduce the toolbox classes you are tied
to the 400 as the backend forever. Now don't get me
wrong I love the 400 and would want to deploy no where
else, but I have it several situations where we ended
up moving the backend to NT or Unix. With the Stored
Procedure this is not a problem, useing the program
call it requires rewriting a bit of your code.

--- Dave Wall <dawall@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> I think the important considerations are:
>
> 1) How familiar are you with JDBC.  If you are
> already an expert at JDBC
> then using JDBC procedure call is a natural way for
> you to call the
> program.  If you don't know anything about JDBC but
> are already using some
> other Toolbox component then you may go with
> ProgramCall just because that
> is an interface you are used to.  If you don't know
> either then you have to
> learn one.  I think ProgramCall is easier but that
> is just my opinion.
>
> 2) Complexity of the buffer.  Those of you who use
> AS/400 APIs know the
> input and output buffers of many APIs are obviously
> created by committee.
> They can be very complex with their multiple
> repeating variable length
> structures.  For these types of buffers PCML is the
> way to go.  In a text
> file you define the generic layout of the buffer.
> At run time PCML does
> all the messy math to address into the buffer to
> pull out fields.  PCML is
> a little slower, however, so if your buffer is
> simple PCML may not be worth
> the performance hit.
>
> 3) If correctly written, the performance of
> ProgramCall vs JDBC is about
> the same, with PCML being a little slower.  Of the
> two, ProgramCall should
> be slightly faster just because there is less
> overhead on the client and
> server, but if your program takes any time at all
> you may not see a
> difference.  In either case connect time is
> significant.  If you need to
> call a program more than once you should use the
> same connection.  Toolbox
> in JTOpen 2.02 has connection pooling to help you
> reuse connections for
> both JDBC and ProgramCall
>
> I look foward to see the performance numbers some of
> you are gathering, to
> see if they match my number that ProgramCall is
> slightly faster.
>
> David Wall
> AS/400 Toolbox for Java
>

> "Bruce Jin"
> <brucej@MRC-PRODUCTIVITY.COM>@midrange.com on
> 04/04/2001
> 08:53:10 AM
>
> Please respond to JAVA400-L@midrange.com
>
> Sent by:  owner-java400-l@midrange.com
>

> To:   <JAVA400-L@midrange.com>
> cc:
> Subject:  Re: ProgramCall and ProgramParameter
> classes
>

> I really wish to know the advantages/disadvantages
> in using JDBC procedure
> calls versus using Toolbox if my task is only to
> call RPG, CL, COBOL, and
> REXX from Java.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bruce