  • Subject: RE: HTML to XML, vice versa
  • From: "Joe Teff" <JoeTeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 18:04:58 -0600

Applause. I liked your explanation.

Factory is a term used to describe a class/method that creates and returns
an object to you. This makes the creation of the object "soft-coded" and
more easily changed. JDBC connections is an example.

   con = DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:as400://99.0.255.10", "JUSTME",
"LETMEIN");
   con = DriverManager.getConnection("Jdbc:Odbc:myLibrary");

The Connection object returned by the two statements above are different.
They were both created from classes that implemented the Connection
interface though. The static method DriverManager.getConnect() is a factory
method. It creates and returns objects.

Patterns are really just design therories or templates. We've had them in
all languages really. DFUs are really an implementation of the "Table
lookup/display/maintain" pattern. Don't look for this pattern, I just made
it up :)  OO has coined the term is all. They've also published books that
describe various patterns. This isn't new for Java.

Joe Teff