  • Subject: RE: interesting link
  • From: "Richard Dettinger" <cujo@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 09:08:26 -0600

For those of you who didn't see it, there is a counter article at:

http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-02-2001/jw-0202-javasalon.html

I read the article awhile ago now, but here are the thoughts I can remember
about it:
1) The failured projects were generally old news.  One was the failed
WordPefect port to Java.  Something that happend in 97 or so.  My response:
Windows 95 had flaws compared with Windows 2000 too.
2) Projects fail.  The article took a good many shots at Java's desktop GUI
cababilities (because its hard to find other serious flaws???).  These are
radically improved in the last couple releases.  No mention of that.  I
have nothing to back it up, but my experience is that far fewer Java
projects fail than projects in other languages.  This seems amazing to me
given that the language is still pretty young (there are not many people
running around with a decade of Java experience that can head up projects).
3) Java is ugly syntax...  compared to what?  C++?  Please.  One of the
greatest things about Java is that you can be handed several hundred files
(a megabyte of source code or more) and in a day or two you can understand
its whole layout.  Features of the language like a single public class per
file, packages = library structure, etc. make this possible.  It Java
sometimes a little too verbose?  Yeah, it is.  But to call it ugly syntax
is a joke.

But either way, now you have the full story... (the pro and the con article
- which is really only about 1/100th of the whole story).  You can judge
for yourself.

Regards,

Richard D. Dettinger
AS/400 Java Data Access Team

"Biologists have a special word for stability -- dead"

                Larry Wall
                Open Source Developers Journal
                Issue 1, Jan  2000

"Joe Teff" <JoeTeff@earthlink.net>@midrange.com on 02/25/2001 12:10:21 PM