  • Subject: RE: packed decimals
  • From: "Clapham, Paul" <pclapham@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 14:58:06 -0800

No, what you described isn't packed decimal.  It's just the ordinary binary
representation of numbers.  If you want to send the number 69 as a two-byte
integer (which IS what you described), you just send two bytes.   The first
is the number divided by 256, with any remainder dropped (i.e. 0 in your
example) and the second is the number modulo 256 (i.e. 69 in your example).

And no, \u0001 isn't equivalent to x'01' because the former is two bytes
long and the latter is only one byte.  Don't confuse characters with bytes
in Java.

PC2