  • Subject: accessing db2/400 data and issues with Packed fields
  • From: "Jack Levin" <jlevin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 13:51:08 -0500

Hello,

I am an AS/400 newbie and am looking into accessing data on the as/400 from a remote application (Java app on an App server).  Not sure which development platform we are going to use.  Mabye VAJ or JBuilder.

Anyway, the data I will be accessing (db2/400 data) is of the packed type.  Do I need to be concerned about this? In other words, do I need to do any special programming for that or is there a way to be abstracted from it?

Also, I was thinking of using DB2 Connect so I could have JDBC access to the data.  If I use DB2 connect, will that abstract me from the packed data issue?

If there is a better way, please share.

Any advice is so appreciated.

Thanks.
--