From: Joe Pluta [mailto:joepluta@plutabrothers.com]
Sent: jeudi, 11. janvier 2001 18:30
To: JAVA400-L@midrange.com
Subject: Re: Java IDE

Erick, I've used any number of IDEs over the years, from C to C++ to Java, and as far as commercial IDEs go, I'll take Visual Age for Java over any of the others.

Visual Age is repository-based, which means it can do things tht most of the others simply cannot do.  For example, if you rename a method in a class, VAJ can look for all the references to that method and allow you to change them.

Similarly, if you change something in one package that breaks something in another package, VAJ can identify that IMMEDIATELY and show you the error.  Other IDEs simply don't have this level of integration, because they're source-based and not repository-based.

Now, there are drawbacks to repositories - you have to import and export files in order to communicate with the outside world, including WebSphere.  Make a change to a servlet, you'll then have to export it to the servlet directory.  If you forget the export step a few times, you'll get frustrated at this procedure.  But it becomes second nature, and the VAJ IDE is very good about remembering what you did last time, so sending the same servlet out over and over is usually just a two or three click procedure.

VAJ knows about Java.  It knows about fields and setters and getters.  I don't use the visual programming aspect, because I write tools and visual programming is better suited to applications than tools, but everything else in the package looks as if it were written to develop Java code.  Many of the other packages seem to be C++ IDEs with Java stuff added as an afterthought.

Anyway, those are my opinions, for what they're worth.

Joe