From: Franco Biaggi [mailto:fbiaggi@ticino.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 11, 2001 1:58 PM
To: JAVA400-L@midrange.com; Joe Pluta
Subject: Re: Java IDE

Joe,
good post,
I agree 100% (with some problems in the VAJ VCE, but are "imported" from
VAST)

Ciao

On Thu, 11 Jan 2001 11:29:48 -0600, Joe Pluta wrote:

>Erick, I've used any number of IDEs over the years, from C to C++ to Java,
and as far as commercial IDEs go, I'll take Visual Age for Java
over any of the others.

>Visual Age is repository-based, which means it can do things tht most of
the others simply cannot do.  For example, if you rename a method in a
class, VAJ can look for all the references to that method and allow you to
change them.

>Similarly, if you change something in one package that breaks something in
another package, VAJ can identify that IMMEDIATELY and show
you the error.  Other IDEs simply don't have this level of integration,
because they're source-based and not repository-based.

>Now, there are drawbacks to repositories - you have to import and export
files in order to communicate with the outside world, including
WebSphere.  Make a change to a servlet, you'll then have to export it to the
servlet directory.  If you forget the export step a few times, you'll
get frustrated at this procedure.  But it becomes second nature, and the VAJ
IDE is very good about remembering what you did last time, so
sending the same servlet out over and over is usually just a two or three
click procedure.

>VAJ knows about Java.  It knows about fields and setters and getters.  I
don't use the visual programming aspect, because I write tools and
visual programming is better suited to applications than tools, but
everything else in the package looks as if it were written to develop Java
code.  Many of the other packages seem to be C++ IDEs with Java stuff added
as an afterthought.

>Anyway, those are my opinions, for what they're worth.
>
>Joe

>From: "Erick Garske" <erick@formationmg.com>
>Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 07:42:14 -0800
>
>>Does anyone use a Java IDE other than VisualAge for Java for AS/400
>development? How do other IDE stack up against VisualAge?
>
>I've used Visual Cafe for about five months, and as of yesterday am
starting
>to use
>J Builder 4.0. Since I would like to start Java development on the 400,
>VisualAge would seem to be the logical choice.
>
>Thanks for your insights.
>
>Erick
>
>+---
>| This is the JAVA/400 Mailing List!