  • Subject: RE: Remote Java calls to RPG AS400 programs ?
  • From: Brad Sommerfeld <bsommerfeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 11:55:45 -0600

About users.  A job has a submit user (the one who started the job) and the user on whose behalf the job is running and getting permissions.

In most cases, these are the same.  The AS/400 however has some nice API's that allow a job to work on someone else's behalf through user handle switching.  This is how a server job (like the java API's you are using) perform work on the AS/400.

RTVJOBA  USER - yields the submit user
RTVJOBA  CURUSER - yields user on whose behalf work is being performed.

Although you see QUSER as the user, go ahead and try some simple tests to access commands, functions, data that only the user you connected to the AS/400 with can access.  Also try some that you are restricted from.  Our experience is that it will behave as you expect.  If I remember any gotcha's I'll re-reply.

Brad Sommerfeld
Vertical Sky (formerly MKS, formerly part of Silvon Software)