  • Subject: Re: JDBC 2.0 and OS400 V4R4
  • From: dawall@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 09:13:34 -0500

You cannot easily call JDBC 2.0 methods from any 1.1.x JVM because Java is
defining and enforcing the interface, not the native JDBC driver or the
Toolbox JDBC driver.

The Toolbox implements both JDBC 1.x and JDBC 2.x methods in the same
class.  That does not mean all methods usable in all cases.  In your case,
you cannot call the JDBC 2.x methods from your 1.1.x JVM.  That is because
the interface the Toolbox implements is part of the JVM.  When you create a
JDBC object (connection, statement, result set, ...), you get a Toolbox
object that implements a Java interface.  If you try to call a method that
is not in the interface, it will fail.  So, if you try to call a 2.0 method
in a 1.1.x JVM, the call will fail because the interface (which is part of
the JVM) doesn't contain the method.

In theory you can get around this in the Toolbox case but it is not
recommended.  Instead of using the generic JDBC object you could cast your
object to be a specific Toolbox object.  For example, you could cast your
object to be an AS400JDBCStatement instead of a generic Statement object.
Now you can call all methods on that class.  This is not recommended
because you are no longer portable.  You must run with the Toolbox JDBC
driver.

What the Toolbox is really trying to do is make it easier to deploy your
application.  You don't have to worry about getting a different Toolbox jar
depending on the level of JVM / JDBC you are using.  You don't have to get
"Toolbox 1.x" when running in JVM 1.1.x, then upgrade to "Toolbox 2.x" if
you go to Java 2.  The same jar file will work for both.  It is true that
in the 1.1.x case the Toolbox objects will have extra methods that cannot
be called, but this little bit of size is worth the simplicity of having
only one jar file.

David Wall
AS/400 Toolbox for Java

fabrizio.zanardo@notes.electrolux.ie@midrange.com on 10/11/2000 03:28:15 AM