  • Subject: Re: Java and SNA
  • From: dawall@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 16:54:25 -0500

Sorry, Toolbox is an IP only solution.  Off the top of my head I can think
of the following alternatives to solve your problem.  It has been a long
time since I did comm level stuff so I don't know how much work each of
these solutions would be.
     Anynet.  In a previous life when I worked on OS/2 we had an SNA-based
     product.  Customers in IP-based networks wanted to use our product.
     Anynet was our solution.  Anynet is a product that flows IP traffic in
     an SNA network, or flows SNA traffic  an IP network.  As I remember is
     was hard to set up but once set up it worked pretty well.  Go to the
     Personal Communications section of http://www.ibm.com/software and see
     if they still do anynet.  If yes maybe you could still set it up such
     that Toolbox IP traffic goes across your SNA network.

     On alphaworks (http://www.ibm.com/alphaworks) is a product call SNA
     for Java (search for SNA once you get to the alphaworks site).
     Interesting title.  Maybe it would work for you.

     JNI.  If you app is in Java then you could marshall the program's
     parameters, give them to a C program via JNI then have your C program
     use SNA interfaces to call a program on the AS/400.  On the AS/400
     side the program would call the real program.

I know these aren't great ideas but maybe they will jog someone's memory
and they will have a better idea.

You also mentioned DDM.  Toolbox does have record oriented database access
classes called Record Level access.  RLA uses the DDM server as the access
point to the AS/400.  This is IP but if you ever go IP it may have what you
want.

David Wall
AS/400 Toolbox for Java

Hendi Sumarna <HENDI@MULTIPOLAR.CO.ID>@midrange.com on 09/26/2000 03:53:22