  • Subject: Re: Classpath location for Servlet
  • From: francess@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 10:50:41 -0500

What version of WebSphere do you have installed on the AS400?

Frances Stewart

"Patrick L Archibald" <Patrick.Archibald@HOMETELCO.COM>@midrange.com on
09/12/2000 10:17:38 AM

Please respond to JAVA400-L@midrange.com

Sent by:  owner-java400-l@midrange.com

To:   <JAVA400-L@midrange.com>
cc:
Subject:  Classpath location for Servlet

Hi

Newbie here.  I get the following message
when issuing "javac ServletSample.java"
from the QSH command line.

"ServletSample.java:6: Package javax.servlet not found in import."

I'm assuming
I need to specify the CLASSPATH environment
variable.  What is the correct path?

I'm at V4R4M0.  I have written many CGI programs
using ILE COBOL.  I want to compare the performance
of CGI and Servlets.

The source for the sample program is below:

// ServletSample.java
    // Step 1: Add the necessary import statements.

import java.io.*;
import java.util.*;
import javax.servlet.*;
import javax.servlet.http.*;

     // Step 2: Extend HttpServlet.

public class ServletSample extends HttpServlet {

     // Step 3: Specify the required methods.

public void doGet (HttpServletRequest request, HttpServletResponse
response)
       throws ServletException, IOException    {

     // Step 4: Get the HTTP request information, if any.

     Enumeration keys;
     String key;
     String myName = "";
     keys = request.getParameterNames();
     while (keys.hasMoreElements())
     {
          key = (String) keys.nextElement();
          if (key.equalsIgnoreCase("myName"))
               myName = request.getParameter(key);
     }
     System.out.println("Name = ");
     if (myName == "")
               myName = "Hello";

     // Step 5: Create the HTTP response.

     response.setContentType("text/html");
     response.setHeader("Pragma", "No-cache");
     response.setDateHeader("Expires", 0);
     response.setHeader("Cache-Control", "no-cache");
     PrintWriter out = response.getWriter();
     out.println("<html>");
     out.println("<body>");
     out.println("<h1>Just a basic servlet</h1>");
     out.println ("<p>" + myName +  ", this is a very basic servlet.");
     out.println("</body></html>");
     out.flush();

Thanx, Patrick
/