  • Subject: Virtual Terminal(VT) API
  • From: "Venkatraman Iyer" <vliyer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 19:22:46 GMT

Hi,
We are in the process to enable AS/400 applications (RPG/400 Programs) for
the web.
We want to use the  existing applications (for their business logic) and
change only presentation layer to web so that we can access the same
information from browser.

E.g. we have Item Inquiry program on as/400. It takes Item Number as input
and display Item Description (and few additional fields). We want to do the
same from the browser (building our logic around existing program).

Solution : At present we have changed our RPG program to check for the
request (whether it is from web or AS/400 Terminal). We have one flag say
with value "W" to represent request is from the web.

If the request is from the Web, we are writing the information retrieved to
user space (instead of display files), java programs are accessing user
space to retrieve and format the information for web.

We are not happy with this solution since it require change in existing
application and found out that there is something called "VT (Virtual
Terminal) API" which will avoid changing the existing applications.
and better solution.

We couldn't figure out how to make use of it??

Any suggestions/Documentation/Help..???

Thanks,

Venkat.