  • Subject: Re: Secure PRNG?
  • From: Larry Loen <lwloen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 14:24:30 -0600 (CST)

If you are dealing with security problems relating to
this sort of thing, I suggest you try the book
"Modern Cryptography" by Meyer and Matyas, available
in any decent technical library.  I believe that
somewhere, it covers topics like this.  Certainly,
the discussions on key management will be very
relevant to your question.

It's a fairly old book now, but still readable and
for my money, clear and useful in a field where
one's intuition often fails.

When it comes to this sort of thing, it is easy to
implement things that _look_ good, but are really
very weak (ie, you don't preserve whatever secrets
you think you're preserving even though a lot of
scrambled up looking data is flowing around).

You may well find, for instance, that a cryptographically
random _seed_ is insufficient if that seed is then fed
into a standard pseudorandom number generator.  Abusing
pseudo random number generators for cryptographic use
is well known to be a problem to those who know
how to hack ciphers, but is surprisingly unknown to the general
programmers whose exposure to security is intermittent
and only a small part of a larger job.

If that's what you intend; don't do it.

If you need to secure data, you may need to use a decent cryptography
system to really secure the data you're
trying to secure, because many non-cryptographic programmable
"random number generators" are totally insecure against
50 year old cryptography methods.  Some can even be cracked
with ordinary paper and pencil!  The old Data Encryption
Standard has a mode which works in the role you may be
thinking of here and it is very random and also
cryptographically strong.

Please note, also, that if you are trying to
secure some data this way, the general security of the AS/400
is presumably irrelevant.  That is, if you are sure
that AS/400 can keep the data from flowing to those
without proper access via the regular AS/400 security,
you don't need any kind of cryptography
with our without a pseudo random number generator.

On the other hand, if the data is, say, flowing outside
of the '400 on the general Internet, or is otherwise
in a *PUBLIC file or something, then your security is
entirely dependent on the quality of the method you use
to encrypt the data.

Larry W. Loen (lwloen@rchland.vnet.ibm.com)
Department HP4
IBM   Rochester, Minnesota