  • Subject: PBD2.0P - alpha 2 released - full JSP/servlet support
  • From: Pluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 22:33:57 -0600

HUGE new release!

The newest alpha release of PBD, pbd20p-alpha2, is available!
This release shows ALL the capabilities of the PBD server/client
architecture.  It takes a two-screen maintenance program and,
be only removing three lines and adding 14, turns it into an
application client.

What's an application client?  It's a program that can be used
to interact with ANY type of user interface!  And this release
of PBD shows the three major types of interface:

Green Screen: For the old users, it looks IDENTICAL!
Swing: Takes advantage of the Swing GUI for a great look
Browser: With JSP and servlets, the ultimate thin client!

Now you're saying to yourself, "Boy, coding each user interface
must be a real pain!"  Not true!  Each interface requires less
than 100 lines of code, and the best thing is, YOU DON'T HAVE TO
BE A JAVA EXPERT!

It's hard to explain without showing, so I'll include a sample
user interface section.  For the Swing interface, you code as
follows:

********************************
import com.pbd.pub.jbui.*;
import com.pbd.pub.sc400.*;
import com.pbd.pub.sc400.jbui.*;

public class ITMMNT1_JbuiDisplay extends ScJdspfJbuiServer
{
  class prompt extends ScJdspfJbuiDisplay {
    prompt() {
      super(
        // Title
        "Item Maintenance",
        // Two fields, one is output only
        new JbuiFieldPanel(
          new JbuiEntryField[] {
            new JbuiEntryField("X1ITEM", "Item Number:", 100),
            new JbuiOutputField("X1ERR", "Message:", 300),
          }
        ),
        // Two buttons, Enter and F3
        new JbuiButtonPanel(
          new JbuiButton[] {
            new JbuiButton(0, "Edit"),
            new JbuiButton(3, "Exit")
          }
        )
      );

  class maint extends ScJdspfJbuiDisplay {
    maint() {
      super(
        // Title
        "Item Maintenance",
        // Seven fields
        new JbuiFieldPanel(
          new JbuiEntryField[] {
            new JbuiOutputField("X2MODE", "Mode:", 80),
            new JbuiOutputField("X2ITEM", "Item Number:", 150),
            new JbuiEntryField("X2DESC", "Description:", 300),
            new JbuiEntryField("X2QTYO", "Qty Onhand:", 90),
            new JbuiEntryField("X2UOMI", "Stocking UOM:", 20),
            new JbuiEntryField("X2UOMS", "Selling UOM:", 20),
            new JbuiOutputField("X2ERR",  "Message:", 300),
          }
        ),
        // Enter, F3, F6 and F12
        new JbuiButtonPanel(
          new JbuiButton[] {
            new JbuiButton(0, "Edit"),
            new JbuiButton(3, "Exit"),
            new JbuiButton(6, "Accept"),
            new JbuiButton(12, "Cancel")
          }
        )
      );

/**
 * This method was created in VisualAge.
 */
public ITMMNT1_JbuiDisplay() throws Sc400Exception {
  super(
    new ITMMNT1_Client(true),
    new ITMMNT1_DisplayFile(),
    new ScJdspfJbuiRecordUI[] {
      new ScJdspfJbuiRecordUI("PROMPT  ", new prompt()),
      new ScJdspfJbuiRecordUI("MAINT   ", new maint())
    }
  );
}
/**
 * This method was created in VisualAge.
 * @param args java.lang.String[]
 */
public static void main(String args[])
  throws Sc400Exception
{
  new ITMMNT1_JbuiDisplay().run();
  System.exit(0);
********************************

That's it!  Hopefully it's fairly obvious where the changes are
for different files... you change the JbuiEntryField and the
JbuiOutputField lines to add, change or remove fields, and you
change the JbuiButton lines to add, change or remove buttons
(buttons act like function keys).

Anyway, that's the gist of it.  Go to the revitalization page
for more information:

www.zappie.net/revitalization

Have fun!

Joe Pluta