  • Subject: Re: Database I/O
  • From: enord@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 08:11:27 -0600

Sorry, the field is defined NULL CAPABLE.  I tried to send this yesterday but it
kept failing.

cujo@us.ibm.com on 11/12/99 03:22:32 PM

Please respond to JAVA400-L@midrange.com

 To:      JAVA400-L@midrange.com

 cc:      (bcc: Erik Nord/OTC)

Is the problem here that you have created your tables to have columns that
are specified "NOT NULL WITH DEFAULT"?  If you use interactive SQL to
create tables, for example, the tables are created with this default.  This
will make it impossible to ever get a null value into the database table.
When you pass in null, the default value goes into the column instead of
the null.

If checking into this doesn't help, I can post JDBC examples setting
database columns to null and getting the null value back out if that would
help.

Regards,

Richard D. Dettinger
AS/400 Java Data Access Team

Think your job is safe?  Your future?  Your company's existence?  Think
again.
Right now there are people planning to do you in.  To replace you, steal
your
paycheck, obliterate your business, throw you out in the street.
..This is your wake-up call.  Digital Darwinism is unstoppable.
-Paul Somerson

enord@ORIENTAL.COM on 11/12/99 10:20:06 AM

Please respond to JAVA400-L@midrange.com