  • Subject: Re: forcing native access with websphere and toolbox
  • From: "Alex Garrison" <agarrison@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 08:19:47 -0500

A personal comment on jdbc:

We used the jdbc drivers from websphere on the as/400 (both toolbox and native) for about 17 months.  To make a long story short - the performance just isnt there.

I know others have had a great experience with jdbc.  We brought in several such lucky folks as consultants to learn from their experiences.  Some techniques do help - stored procedures, analyzing sql optimizer diagnostics, etc.  Bottom line, though, is that we get much better (like over 50%) performance using record-level i/o.  I know we lose portability by going to record-level access, but a portable slow-running servlet is just no good to us.   We really just got to the point where we had no choice.

I am not saying everyone should dump jdbc for record-level i/o, but I have a feeling there are others out there with the same experience we had.  Anyone else go from jdbc to record-level i/o or are unhappy with jdbc performance in websphere on an as/400?