  • Subject: RE: Best way to start.
  • From: "Richard Dean" <rddean@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 09:58:25 -0400

Probably the best way to start is to get a book and load the JDK on your PC.
I would not worry about getting connected to the AS/400 right away.  Though
it is really easy once you get to that point.

As far as a book is concerned, I like "Java 1.2 in 24 Hours" by Rogers
Cadenhead.  I tried to read a few different Java books when I was getting
started and this one did the best explaining objects.  Plus it has pretty
good examples to get you going.  I am not sure if you have ever programmed
in anything other than RPG, but if you have it may seem a little basic at
first, but it picks up later.  Also there are tons on free tutorials on
Sun's web site, among other places.

As for installing and getting set up with Java.  Check the moderator of this
list's site

http://www.zappie.net

There are good step by step instructions on how to get everything loaded
properly.

Good luck!