You can use the Java Tool Box from IBM, there is special classess to manage
connections with the AS/400, also it include a JDBC driver for the AS400:

import com.sun.java.swing.*;
import java.awt.*;
import java.sql.*;
import com.ibm.as400.vaccess.SQLResultSetTableModel;
import com.ibm.as400.vaccess.SQLResultSetTablePane;
import com.ibm.as400.vaccess.SQLConnection;
import com.ibm.as400.access.AS400JDBCPreparedStatement;

public class JApplet1 extends JApplet
{
        public void init()
        {
                symantec.itools.lang.Context.setApplet(this);

getRootPane().putClientProperty("defeatSystemEventQueueCheck",
Boolean.TRUE);

                getContentPane().setLayout(null);
                setSize(760,400);
                Cliente.setText("001288075060969");
                getContentPane().add(Cliente);
                Cliente.setBounds(60,36,108,24);
                Fecha.setText("990903");
                getContentPane().add(Fecha);
                Fecha.setBounds(60,60,107,20);
                try {
                        Grid.setConnection(SQL1);
                }
                catch(java.beans.PropertyVetoException e) { }
                getContentPane().add(Grid);
                Grid.setBounds(192,60,396,308);
                try {
                        SQL1.setURL("jdbc:as400://S1031MMM");

                }
                catch(java.beans.PropertyVetoException e) { }
                try{
                    DriverManager.registerDriver(new
com.ibm.as400.access.AS400JDBCDriver ());
                 SQL1.getConnection();
                }catch(Exception e){}
                try{
                Grid.setQuery("SELECT dlbpc, dlmsq, ddfcs, ddrqf, ddrqt,
ddrqq, ddsdt, ddedt FROM   "
                         +   "   bpcsfl.tdlb, bpcsfl.tddb WHERE dLDTD =
'ECM' and dlmsq = ddmsq and "
                 +   "   dlgui = ddgui and DLGUI in ( SELECT dogui FROM
"
                 +   "   bpcsfl.tdob WHERE DOSID = '099822033' and SUBSTR(
DOGUI ,1,6)"
                 +   "   = '990910' ) ORDER BY dlmsq");
                Grid.load();
                }catch (Exception e) {}

        }

        //{{DECLARE_CONTROLS
        com.sun.java.swing.JTextField Cliente = new
com.sun.java.swing.JTextField();
        com.sun.java.swing.JTextField Fecha = new
com.sun.java.swing.JTextField();
        com.ibm.as400.vaccess.SQLResultSetTablePane Grid = new
com.ibm.as400.vaccess.SQLResultSetTablePane();
        com.ibm.as400.vaccess.SQLConnection SQL1 = new
com.ibm.as400.vaccess.SQLConnection();
        //}}
}