  • Subject: Re: Application vs. Applets vs. Servlets
  • From: nimrod@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 07:15:29 +0200

The following should be used as general guidelines:

Applets run on the client.  They are therefore most appropriate for
client-side functionality - mostly user-interface issues.

Servlets are meant to provide a portable, Java-based way for doing
front-end interfacing - i.e. providing an HTML front-end for your
back-end application.  While you may certainly write the full back-
end code in the servlet, it is usually not the best way.  Servlets
are controlled by the Web server, which may or may not provide the
appropriate environment for your application (scalability, fault-
tolerance, security, etc.).

Applets and servlets are usually mutually exclusive.  You use
applets if you need to provide extra client-side functionality or
other features not available with HTTP/HTML.  If you can (or want
to) restrict yourself to HTTP/HTML then servlets are your choice.

An application, whether in Java or in any other language, can do
whatever an application does, so this is usually the best place for
your business logic and the database interfaces.

Separating the front-end (whether an applet or a servlet) from the
back-end has the extra benefit of being able to modify the front-
end (e.g. support new UI standards) without touching your critical
business logic.

Nimrod

> I have been experimenting with Java Applications and using Data Queues to
> communicate with the AS/400, and the speed has been good.  I was
wondering
> what other people are doing out there for there business solutions.
After